It’s Day 29 and the days are flying by. Before you know it, we’ll be ringing in the New Year! My hope is that as you transition into the new season of 2014 that you do it with all the gusto you can muster. So today I’m looking at how to guard your energy.
There’s so much talk about time management and life balance and all kinds of ways we can try to fit life into a neat little box so that we feel a level of achievement.
This may sound a bit off the wall but I’m not sure if I subscribe to it all. I definitely don’t subscribe to time management. Let’s be honest, there’s absolutely no way we can manage time. Time is set and governed by the sun. It’s a simple equation, the sun rises and sets according to the same order everyday. Time is a slave to no man, so man should not be a slave to time. The more we try to manage it, the more illusive it becomes and seems to slip through our fingers. Before we know it another day is dawning and we still haven’t completed all the tasks we set out to.
As for life balance, I understand what’s meant by it but for me it kind of connotes the image of a juggler on a unicycle, dressed in a court jester outfit, with his hands full while trying to juggle kids, marriage, career, relationships, studying and all facets of his life all at once. God forbid but if he loses balance he’s bound to drop one of them.
I like to think of life as a whole rather than many different segments. I’m learning that if I can spend time and effort on managing my energy levels, I get so much more done and feel so much more accomplished. Not to mention the fact that the people around me get my very best. So how do you manage your energy? Here are a few ways I’ve found that help me and I sincerely hope they’re useful for you too.
1. I practice an 80/20 principle which means I put most of my effort into 80% of the things that I love doing. The other 20% happens when it happens. Usually the 20% are external pressures that other people deem as important but mean very little to me. I refuse to be bullied into engaging in energy draining tasks just to please other people.
2. I deliberately surround myself with people who are uplifting, motivating and life giving. This is a non negotiable for me and a key factor of being able to stay positive and fuel my energy levels so I’m not being drained by negative people all the time.
3. I engage in an intimate relationship with my God who I believe to have a much higher understanding of what I need to do with my life than I do. Spending time with Him replenishes my energy and I don’t have to exert all of that effort in trying to do everything in my own strength.
4. I take ‘Down Time’ when I need to. I run my own business which means that I don’t have to be a slave to the beat of someone else’s drum. If I feel I’ve expended all of my mental or physical capacity at any given time. I’ll down tools for a couple of hours and do something totally different and non related to my given day. After this my energy levels rise again and I can go back to the tasks at hand.
5. I try to release anger and forgive quickly. Unforgiveness is a guzzler of energy. It really zaps your emotions and you exert most of your brain power thinking about your offender rather than the goals you know you need to achieve.
6. I try to illuminate worry. Yet another energy drainer. If it’s happened already there’s no changing it. So worry is not going to help!
7. I practice thinking good thoughts. You’ll be amazed how much mental and physical energy you save from just having a positive prospective on life.
8. I try to eat right and get as much exercise as I can. When things try to creep into my life to stop me from focussing on these 2 areas, I have to reel it back in. A sense of well being gives a tremendous boost to energy levels.
So why is this relevant to the 50 Day Change Challenge? Because if you can conserve your emotional energy and strength, you’ll have the brain power to create, the emotional power to dream again and the physical power to actually get the job done. When we lack the gusto to do things we procrastinate and make excuses. Having a high level of energy in these areas will ensure that you finish strong at the end of the year and give 2014 a run for its money.
I hope this has been helpful. It would be great to hear from you.
See you tomorrow.